Friday, April 29, 2011

So many channels...

Upon my arrival in Doha...I was excited to see that I had a flat screen television sitting in the living room of my villa with my name on it. Ok, so my name wasn't really on it...and it wasn't really calling my name....but hey, a flat-screen tv! Living in Grand Haven these past couple of years we never had a flat screen television in the living room. But alas...I have made it. I now have a flat screen!

Umm...one problem. There are next to no channels in English! I have satellite tv here...but no good channels! This may surprise you, but I seriously have 1715 channels. Unfortunately, they are all from tunisia, india, russia, europe, asia, africa, and of course the middle east. Instead of ESPN, ESPN 2, or Fox Sports...we have Nile Sport, Saudi Sport, Iraqia Sport, Dubai Sports, Dubai Sports 2, Kuwait Sport...you get the idea! Instead of MTV or VH1...we have an unlimited supply of music videos from all over the world and in any language (including polish!). Instead of the many american movie channels...we have american movies dubbed over in Arabic. Instead of the many tele-evangelists and preachers...we have an abundance of islamic programming including prayers and teachings of the quran. As I am typing this blog...I am watching Viva Polska...it's kind of like VH1's Behind the Music and their countdown shows. I think they are currently counting down the top boy bands or something. I have learned there is no Polish word for 'metrosexual' or for 'sexy back,' as in Justin Timberlake bringing 'sexy back.'

Here is just a glimpse of another show that I came across during my first week: (it may look a little familiar)




Needless to say...I used to think it was bad in the States when we got 80 channels and there was nothing on...Now I get 1700+ and there is still nothing on!!!

2 comments:

  1. So I take it you didn't see the office...It was Michael's last day and made me think of you. WE never had the office olympics either. At least you tried to prepare yourself with the music, as I do recall hearing strange music coming out of your room as you were preparing and listening to pandora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen last night's episode yet. I watched the previous episode and had to fight back some tears...I might have to prepare myself for this last episode :) It's funny. While I was in Grand Haven I wanted to listen to Arabic music. Now that I'm in Qatar...all I want is to listen to music in English. I should learn to be happy with where I'm at...j/k!

    ReplyDelete